Thursday, June 4, 2009

Urban Garden Lite

Growing up, both sets of grandparents had vegetable gardens. One set also had strawberries, the other set also had asparagus and blueberries. They both had the standards: corn, tomatoes, okra, peas, beans, a variety of greens, broccoli, eggplant.

I come by it honestly. Does anyone else have the memory of loving the "chore" of collecting the vegetables each day?

Have I explained that my yard is quite shady?

Except for the front, that is. So all the space in the back is in shade but the front has a fair amount of sun.

This year the pull was irresistible. I needed to grow some vegetables.

I have 3 bell peppers: green, red and yellow. They are blooming right now._MG_0706

I have 2 jalapenos and 1 pimento (hello home made pimento cheese).
_MG_0710
And there are already little peppers on the jalapeno!

4 tomato plants: Mortgage Lifter, Amish Paste, Brandywine and a grape tomato.
_MG_0714

1 eggplant, chives, basil, rosemary, parsley...and that's all I thought I could cram in among the flowers.

_MG_0713
All that bright green at the bottom is the oregano...I step on it to water the raised bed and it smells soooooo good.

The mailbox planting is picturesque with clematis, verbena and daylilies...but productive with rosemary and basil.

_MG_0717

Speaking of flowers, aren't these beautiful?

_MG_0723





_MG_0725

Why is the simple act of growing something so thrilling? One of my retirement daydreams is a small farm. 1 garden, 1 cow, 1 barn cat, a few chickens...maybe one day :)

5 comments:

  1. Molly, these are great. I know of quite a few families that have added a small chicken coup in section of their yard. Daily eggs... Enjoy your gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly,
    I'm thinking I want to come live at your house. The dogs, the porch, the new chairs and the smell of herbs. I love the idea of gardening but have never been good at the work it takes. I absolutely adore how you've incorporated beauty and function.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those Hydrangeas, they are one of my favorite flowers. At almost every stage they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so good! Love the idea of a little farm too : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you're ready please come and check out my neighborhood! Please!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin