Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Cinema Paradiso


I realized early this year that I was falling behind in popular culture, and resolved to see more movies.


I have met the challenge but haven't exactly gone mainstream. Today's recommendation is called Cinema Paradiso. Yes it's in Italian. Yes there are subtitles.


But it's so much more than a foreign film with subtitles. Here's the IMDB description:


A filmmaker recalls his childhood, when he fell in love with the movies at his village's theater and formed a deep friendship with the theater's projectionist.

This doesn't even begin to do it justice. There is a little boy. A scamp. There is a censoring priest-it was just after the war. There's Alfredo who tries to be curmudgeonly and fails. I won't tell you anymore except you just need to watch it.


Welcome the magic to your living room.

2 comments:

  1. I am so behind on movies and such it is not even funny. I have to live vicariously through my kids. It all comes from working too hard and creating too much at night. I will have to watch that one day though.

    How are you doing? I was thinking about you last night as I saw the DOW go through the roof!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooooove this movie! The end is so poignant and made me BAWL! Il Postino is a good one too if you like this genre.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin