Monday, July 6, 2009

Homemade Tartar Sauce

I Know What You're Thinking...you're either thinking ick, or yum. And if you're thinking ick it's because, almost always, you don't like the sweet pickle relish that is in most tartar sauce.

So before taking off for the 4th of July fish fry, I looked up a recipe for home made tartar sauce. And found one with capers - I love capers - but it did call for chopped dill pickle. So it made me think, what if I leave out any pickles? I can substitute dill and cider vinegar. So I did. And I didn't have tarragon so I left that out too. And I didn't have Tabasco, but I did have Jalapeno sauce.


It was a hit. How do I know?

There's none left!

Original Recipe from Epicurious.com

1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle (I replaced this with a stem of chopped dill and 1tsp of cider vinegar)
3 tablespoons chopped green onion
1 tablespoon drained capers
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon (I left this out)
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I used jalapeno sauce)

Whisk all ingredients together, season with salt and pepper, and refrigerate for 1 hour and up to 2 days.

2 comments:

  1. I be this sauce would make me like fish. I love shellfsih, but not fish and am too scared to try it.

    I might have to try again real soon.

    Glad you had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh yummy. SSG loves anything from the sea. ESPECIALLY when there is sauce in which to dip.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin