Monday, April 6, 2009

Farmer's Market


For the last 2 years, this lovely setting has been the location of a weekly farmer's market. I believe it's a mission that this church carries out, but I'm not sure. This weekend was opening weekend, and I wasn't the only one looking forward to it - it was packed!


This is looking toward the tents where I bought Hope's Garden basil pesto and got a card for a meat CSA - it's something new that the local heritage/organic meat producers are doing. I'm tempted. On the left you can make out the fish hanging on the tent wall. Two years ago, I bought three and I gave away 1 and kept 2. And slightly off camera to the right is where I found some chipotle bacon, thick sliced and some pepperone salami, handmade. Yum.


This is Farmer George. or Farmer Jeff. I forget. He didn't have any flat leaf parsley, which I dearly wanted to make fresh ranch dressing. But a tent or two up are the farmers that sold me my heirloom tomato plants: Brandywine, Mortgage Lifter and Amish Paste. Mortgage Lifter was around during the Great Depression. It seemed apropos, somehow.


My hands were full by the time I bought endive to cook with white beans, but I also got some fresh eggs on the way out. They were various colors and sizes.


The moss wall above was on the way back to the car. I had to put down the eggs to take the picture.


Below is the bounty.


Have a great week!




5 comments:

  1. Your market is better than ours...I am a little jealous of that bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What exactly does heirloom mean when referring to a plant?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite the bounty. We don't have anything nearly as cool around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chipotle Bacon??? That sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin