Monday, May 25, 2009

Decoration Day



(both images from the Internet)

Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service. It was originally a national day of mourning, with flags to be flown at half mast until in 1971 Congress made it a three day holiday on the last Monday of May.

It is easy to lose site of the purpose of Memorial Day as it signals the start of summer, but it is about coming together to honor those who gave their all.

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea that it started out as Decoration Day. I teach about the origins of the holiday...you'd think I would know. Oh well, now I do.

    I hope you're having a great Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I want to say, and what i will say, are 2 different things.
    Today i am grateful for all those who have sacrificed for my freedom, I hold those whom they have left behind close in my thoughts.
    tuesday starts the work week...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin