Monday, September 29, 2008

Quick penne supper

My friend Cindy doesn't like to cook as much as I do.



She does love penne pasta. And broccoli.



Cindy, I read this recipe recently and it had you written all over it. I just can't recall where I read it which is becoming a much too frequent occurrence. I figure you could make this in about 30 minutes start to finish. Serve with some wine and you've got a pretty impressive, quick meal for that someone you entertain.


Cook 1/2 box of Barilla penne pasta (brand is just to help with portions because I didn't measure anything). About 5 minutes before the pasta is al dente (Cindy - the pasta box will tell you how long that it takes to cook to al dente), add broccoli florets (the kind already cut up and ready to go) - I used about a quarter of a pound.







Drain penne and broccoli. Slice a few grape or cherry tomatoes and put in the boiler. Return pasta and broccoli to the boiler (the heat from the pasta and broccoli cooks the tomatoes just a little).




Stin in juice and zest of one lemon, plenty of salt and pepper, extra virgin olive oil and last but not least: plenty of parmesan cheese (I used the shredded blend of parmesan, romano, asiago in the fridge) - say 1/3 to 1/2 cup.


Serve.


Yum. This I know because it's what was for supper last night.




Easy, right? Not much measuring and using stuff she probably has in her fridge and pantry. Okay, except the lemon. She might not have the lemon. But Cindy, you drive by the Fresh Market on the way home and we both live less than a mile from a Publix. A lemon would be easy to get. And surprisingly, it made all the difference. Gave it a lightness and set off the olive oil.

That's it, Cindy. From me to you. And everyone else.




2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious; I'll have to try it.

    Came by via the Black Box. I really should stop playing with this thing and go get the supper cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a fantastic recipe. exactly what i would love to eat for dinner.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin