Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Just Doing It

I have a friend, Marlene, who is setting off on an adventure this week.  She is going to work in Alaska at a resort for the summer.  I think this is a wonderful adventure!  In honor of where she was going to be, she bought a new camera, and I got to help her get oriented to her camera last night.  Then we went in the front yard and took some photos.  Marlene got some keepers, and I took these while she tried out settings. 






If nothing else, I hope Marlene got the fever to just go play with her camera.  These were during the wonderful time of the day when the light is just beautiful, and they are straight out of the camera (SOOC).


I know there are film purists, but for me, digital has been liberating.  I can take the volume of pictures it takes to learn, see them immediately, delete liberally and try again.



I spend a lot of time looking at Flickr or magazines or newspapers to see the images they show to decide what I like and want to emulate. I attended a workshop, and am taking some online classes.


But the thing that's been most valuable is just doing it (forgive me, Nike).  Taking lots and lots of photos.  Figuring out what I can do that I like.  Making it a priority to learn everything my camera can do - and I've got lots to explore, yet. 

Bon voyage, Marlene!  I can't wait to see your photos and hear your stories from this summer.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin