Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Distracted


I'd planned to read some tonight, in the quiet.  But I'm captivated by the drama unfolding as the miners in Chile are so close to returning to Earth.  I imagine this is something like the Apollo 13 drama in the 70s.  I was alive then, too, just not old enough to really understand. 

But this - so many have pitched in.  Our very own NASA provided a liquid diet meant to combat all the ills of their entrapment as well as the drastic temperature change; a paramedic is descending to triage the returning miners (very brave, yes?); the capsule has been engineered to avoid friction, the shaft is not perfectly vertical...really mind-blowing stuff.

And have you seen the tent city? It's the dryest desert in the middle of Chile's nowhere and there is a tent city which is unbelieveable.



Back to my post on the edge of my seat.

P.S.  Yes, I got a Kindle.  Working on the assumption that I could continue to get new things to read that won't fill up my house, about 5-6 hardback books will pay for it.  And now I read the Sunday paper - I had given them up in disgust because I couldn't get them read in one day and then they cluttered up the joint.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you about the miners. In typical AMerican fashion, I'm saying let's hurry up. I'm so glad that there are so many people working in tandem and not one of them looks to be rushing. It is going to be very exciting to see each man come up out of that hole. Amazing. Simply amazing.

    A kindle, huh. I'm not sold on the idea but my sister loves the B&N Nook. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It actually reminds me of when Baby Jessica was pulled out of the well. I remember watching that on pins and needles when I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin