Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Guernsey LIterary and Potato Peel Pie Society

I belong to an online book group. Each month they have advance reading copies you can request, and if you are selected you get a free book to read and review. I recently got The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows.

I was trying to make my review so brief it ended up sounding constipated (but it was published, thankyouverymuch):

Irrepressible human spirit
The daily privations and loss during a war time occupation are held at bay by generosity and ingenuity resulting in a clandestine feast of contraband pork. The book club hastily formed as an excuse for breaking Nazi curfew becomes a source of strength, courage and hope for the members struggling to survive the war, and results in a journey home for the journalist who visits them after the war.

At any rate, I enjoyed it. It was in epistolary form - which is kind of fun for a change. And it covered a portion of WWII history that I know little about, although I like WWII history. There is one society member who is positively adventuresome in his war time cooking - hence part of the name.

Read it!

Oh, and if you want to see Bookbrowse for yourself, click here: Bookbrowse

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin