Monday, August 1, 2011

Canopy



I just read a post by Jon Katz...he was talking about how he was becoming very selective about what he puts in his head.

Amen, brother.

I made that decision some time ago, and unfortunately for the local tv news, it generally means no local tv news.  I am tired of the sensationalism of senseless, cruel behavior.  Oh, I keep up with what's important, like the local Atlanta Public Schools debacle. Or the misreading of the water meters.

But does one really want to know that there are teens twisted enough to torture animals, and how, just before bedtime?

The 24/7 news cycle has pushed news organizations to try to drum up interest.  That's why every weather event now has a name and a logo.

Whatever side of the aisle in Washington, DC you favor, think about whether the media helped or hurt this latest Capitol Hill issue.

No, thanks.

No manufactured hysteria for me.

For me, less is definitely more.

P.S. I am sure I am the last person in Atlanta to read The Help.  Oh em gee.  The first time I picked it up it wasn't for me.  This weekend I tried it again.  What an amazing book.  I'll be thinking about it for quite a while.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way about The Help. My sister read it as she took care of my father then passed it on to me. I'm not sure about watching the movie.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin